Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Back again..

I know. I keep saying I will post more, but it never happens. But the last weeks were just so stressful. Haha. I'm happy to be on break and once I'm back in the US, I will try to post more. If interesting things happen, that is.. Let's hope so!

I got to Germany last Thursday. School got out Tuesday and I boarded my plane Wednesday afternoon. I still haven't gotten over the jet lag. I don't know why it's taking me so long. It's been almost a week now. Maybe because I always have something to do here, too, and never really rest like I need to. But it's been fun here so far! I got to see a good friend, go horseback riding whenever I want (I absolutely love that horse. He's wonderful out on the trails. It's beautiful here and I really missed the fields and woods!), get to read..

I started a practicum with our veterinarian here on Monday. He works with both small and large animal, which is exactly what I want to do - only that I want to do mainly large and a little bit of small on the side. I don't really get to do much but watch, but I don't really mind. On Monday, I really just watched. There were a lot of animals coming in, much different than the vet school patients, where most of them stay there and don't leave right after the examination. There were dogs, cats, rabbits, canaries, doves... I also got to see my first dog euthanasia. I didn't get very upset like some other people have said, but it's definitely a bit unsettling. I don't think the dog was feeling very well anymore, so it might have been a good thing. He's in a better place now if such exists. Yesterday, I helped with cleaning a bit, and greeting and calling in clients. It's really not much, but I want to show that I am motivated and willing to help when needed. Today we only has a few appointments. The regular vet wasn't here and there was someone else covering for him. When we were done at the office, we went to a barn to look at a sick foal. I helped with the treatment a little bit and then we sat there, trying to keep it warm. I hope it gets better soon! It looked better than before apparently though, so that's good. Tomorrow is a holiday, and then I'm back in on Friday. I want to ask if they can show me how to properly restrain the different kinds of animals. I doubt they'll let me do it, but an explanation would still be awesome. It's the first time I'm working with small animals with a vet.

My advisor said I might be able to get one or two hours of credit for the practicum. That'd be awesome. I definitely need some good grades. Haha :P He also said if I help him with some research in the fall, we'd combine those hours with the ones where I helped him last semester and I'd get credit for that, too. I'm so happy I changed advisors from my old one to him. He's the one I had for summer orientation. I wouldn't say my old one was bad, but he wasn't very helpful either. But this one? He's awesome! He alway tries to help everyone succeed and tries to find great opportunities, like this one. I really want to do research, so that'd be a great start!

We found a house and had inspections for it the day before I left the US. I should be moving in around June 20th. I'm super excited to be living together with my wonderful boyfriend again! How I miss seeing him all the time. I know he'll still be gone for work a lot, but at least I get to see him at night or even just sleep next to him. Much better than not seeing him for weeks at a time. :)

I so so so love that I get to ride however much I want when I'm in Germany. It's my friend's horse that I broke in before I moved to the US. He's gotten to be a wonderful trail horse. I don't have to worry at all about going out by myself. I think he loves to get out, too. He doesn't get ridden too much anymore and while he loves to eat out on the pasture (and during trail rides which caused us to almost fall down a hill...), I think he really enjoys the rides. We have really relaxed rides, but always gallop a little bit. He puts his ears forward and just takes of at high speed. He really looks like he loves it and I do, too! I really miss riding and this is the only way to really be able to relax. Especially when it's along beautiful fields and through the pretty woods here..

Well, I'm tired. More later (yea, right.. haha). I still want to read a bit and then I'm going to sleep. It's midnight here. I borrowed a book about BSE and one about Mastitis from the vet and I want to be done by Friday. I know I won't get through the whole books, but at least read a big part of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment