Sunday, September 15, 2013

Life is Good.

I could write about the bad stuff that has happened in the last few months and go on and on about that, but no. I want to focus on all the positive things today. Putting all the bad and really bad stuff aside.. life has been absolutely fantastic! I couldn't ask for anything better.

There aren't a lot of things in life that I regret. What's the point of it since it isn't gonna change anything? Yea, learn your lessons from the bad stuff and move on. But it isn't gonna change the past. I wouldn't get the same tattoo again if I had the choice, but I don't regret getting it because that day, I just really wanted it. But one of the things I really truly regret is not being involved in more things my first two years here in college. And this is partially due to the relationship I was in when I started, but mostly.. I just didn't feel comfortable with it. Being alone was easier often times than going out and meeting people.

This year, I decided to try it all. Or somewhat at least. I want to be really involved in my college (Ag stuff) and I also finally decided to go to church regularly and join one of their small groups. So I joined a sorority (I know, right? Me? haha) and a couple of clubs on campus (Block and Bridle, FFA, Cattlemen's).

It has been fantastic! The last few weeks since school started have been the most fun I've had in years! It is exactly what I needed. The worst thing of my life happened right before school started and the timing to meet all these people couldn't have been better. It has really helped me work through it. Seeing Sigma Alpha girls pretty much everywhere, in class, at work, at other club events, has been great and some of them are already becoming super important to me. I can only imagine how much better it will get over time. We had our pinning ceremony this week so we're another step closer to being full active members of the sorority. And the Monday night dinner was awesome.

Being involved has been great. I am very excited to be helping with a steer and heifer show for which I am co-treasurer with another girl who is also in Sigma Alpha. I'll also be signing up for a committee to help with the Southland Stampede Rodeo with another Sigma Alpha girl. It's great to be seeing the same people everywhere, sharing the same interests and just getting to know each other better. I never thought that having friends in the same industry would make such a difference.

This weekend we went to Fishin' in the Dark, a camping trip, and it was a blast! We had so much fun swimming, going on a jeep ride through the woods and just sitting around a fire. It was an awesome way to end a very stressful week of tests and studying with not much sleep. And I'm pretty sure I got at least Bs on both tests, which were for the hardest classes I'm taking this semester. So that's great too.

Tonight was our second small group meeting with church. I was happy to be able to go to The 12 today and listening to that talk and then hearing our small group leader tell her story.. it's made me feel a lot better about having to share mine soon too.

Tomorrow morning I'm meeting with my advisor to talk about career plans again. Being around so many Ag Ed people has made me think about it a lot and I am considering adding it as a major. I want to keep Animal Science since I absolutely love this major, but why not double major? I wouldn't mind staying a little longer at UGA. I really do love it here. It's hard to keep changing my goals because it seems that with every step, I somewhat downsize. First I wanted to get a DVM and PhD, then I changed to just getting a PhD and thought that was really it. That's my plan and I'll stick with it. And now I'm thinking about being a high school teacher.

But you know, the more I change my plans, the happier I seem to get. I had these huge dreams of curing diseases and making a huge difference. That will be pretty much gone. But honestly, you could have a huge influence on kids in high school. You could still change somebody's life for the better. You could have so much influence. And that's great. Helping them grow into awesome people sounds awesome. My advisor sounded a bit disappointed when I mentioned it. He has put so much work into me. He is fantastic. I recommend asking him to be your advisor if you're an animal science major! But I know he'll really help me make a good decision for myself and that's all I need.

Seriously, I've never felt so good about myself. Taking some people out of my life and letting new ones in has been the best decision I could have made this year. Making myself a priority and focusing on what I really need has been so good. I love where it's taken me and can't wait to see where it's going in the future. You can't truly give your all until you are happy with yourself first. Someone that is happy and satisfied with themselves has just so much more to give to others. And I am so excited to pass all this happiness on!


And on top of all this, Ivy has been doing so much better in her training. She's learning more commands and getting friendlier with strangers. A friend came in today that she hasn't seen in a couple months and usually that would get her to bark at least a couple times before being comfortable enough to be petted. Nope. None of that today. Not a single bark came out of her, she was just very excited to see my friend. It was great. Go Ivy! Love my little monster.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go focusing on the positives! It takes all of us some time to figure out where we want to go and what we want to do with our lives... after all, this is LIFE not a script! I know when I chose to really get involved on my campus it made a huge difference for me as well. I have always been a loner, and now I have found joy in the company and friendship of so many other people! Hope things continue to go well for you!

    ReplyDelete